Sunday, 3 February 2013

Pizza

Well. I have missed this blog everyday since returning from Central America. It just feels as though I've been so busy living that I haven't had a lot of time for documenting. Returning from a trip always means catching up on life, work, friends, laundry, doctor's appointments, social engagements, laundry, sleep, exercise, laundry, cleaning, cat cuddling and more laundry. And did I mention that I'm moving? Ya. It's been a little hectic. The ironic thing is, there has been so much cooking and baking going on over here! There have been black bean brownies, egg nog pancakes, chicken lemon soup, skillet cornbread, chilli, oatmeal raisin cookies, maple millet bread, guacamole, chocolate chia pudding, mediterranean quinoa salad, dark and stormy cake, carrot ginger soup and rosemary walnut loaf. There have been copious amounts of tea and knitting and not enough sun or sleep. With all this craziness going on it's been difficult to stop, slow down and process what sits before me. To take the time to appreciate the beauty of homemade food is a luxury.

On Friday I tend to make the grocery list and meal plan for the week so that I can go shopping on Saturday. I admit it! I make meal plans. You see, my week is so busy that I need to know that I have everything to hand when I need it. I also have to plan on which nights I cook and which nights we eat leftovers because I'm home too late from ballet. I also prep the boyfriend's lunches on the weekend so that the mornings are less frantic. Having a meal plan helps me to stay on budget but it also gives me something to look forward to throughout the week. The meal that I make on Friday tends to be a little more special than what I make during the rest of the week; it is my time to relax, drink some wine and take my time in the kitchen. I'll make something that requires a lot of stages or steps or has a fancier ingredient or two. This meal is so basic (pizza!), yet the flavours and textures are so complex. I invite you to open a bottle of wine, mix some flours, melt some cheese and relax with your favourite person/cat/book/movie after a long week.

Pizza with Two Different Toppings

Serves 4-6




For the crust:
1 3/4 cup rice brown rice flour
1 1/4 cup tapioca flour
1 tbsp xanthan gum
1 tbsp grond flax seed
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
1/3 cup almond meal
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp yeast
4 egg whites
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp vinegar
1 1/2 cup warm water

1. Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly grease two cookies sheets.
2. Blend the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
3. Whisk the wet ingredients together in another bowl. Add the dry ingredients and mix on high for 4 minutes. 
4. Spoon the dough mixture onto the prepared sheets and spread either in a circle or to the edges of the sheets.
5. Let rise for 10 minutes and then pre-bake for 10 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and spread with your favourite toppings (2 suggestions below). Bake for 25 minutes.


For the sauce:
1 6oz can tomato paste
6oz water
3 tbsp pecorino romano
1-2 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
salt and pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne
1/8 tsp dried red pepper flakes

1. In a small bowl combine all ingredients and mix well. Let sit for 30 minutes for the flavours to incorporate.

Mediterranean Toppings:
handful of spinach leaves
1/2 cup kalamata olives, chopped
200g goat feta
1-2 tbsp capers
1/2 can artichoke hearts (about 4), chopped
1/4-1/3 cup sundried tomatoes, chopped

Potato Rosemary Toppings:
6 small Yukon Gold potatoes
1 tbsp dried rosemary
1/3 cup pecorino romano
salt and pepper
olive oil

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment